You are not logged in.

Announcement

IMPORTANT. Please read: Migrating to Discourse

#1 Sep 30, 2009 22:13:48

NYbill
Custodes

Re: zipit z2 (thanks greggh)

i'm stealing this info from greggh over on the tllts forum.  i never saw one of these things.  its some "toy" that kids are supposed to use for text'ing and IM'ing friends over WIFI.  but, its open source. 

with a little hacking, a real linux kernel can be put on it!  what would one call it after the hack?  a sub-netbook.   wink

for $50 i might try this just for fun.  a cheap linux rig for your pocket.

http://hackaday.com/2009/09/25/with-zip ... a-netbook/

#2 Oct 1, 2009 19:42:34

jezra
Chaplain
Website

Is that a Linux kernel in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

Have you tried putting some google butter on it?

#3 Oct 2, 2009 01:49:28

skip009
Aspirant

The device looks cool, but you also have to buy a service plan for 120 dollars per year...   I think I will pass on this one.

#4 Oct 2, 2009 04:12:53

jezra
Chaplain
Website

the service plan only needs to be purchased if one plans on using their service. If the device is just going to be hacked, one shouldn't need to purchase a service plan.

#5 Oct 2, 2009 15:20:29

NYbill
Custodes

yea, that is my impression as well.  you don't buy the service plan.  thats just for the proprietary instant messaging services.  you flash the device with Linux from a SD card. 

i don't need one.  and i doubt it would be as powerful as a Nokia N810 or the like.  but, its cheap enough to be an impulse buy just for the hack.

#6 Oct 2, 2009 18:49:53

jezra
Chaplain
Website

NYbill wrote:

i don't need one.  and i doubt it would be as powerful as a Nokia N810 or the like.  but, its cheap enough to be an impulse buy just for the hack.

If wikipedia is to be believed, the n810 has a 330Mhz ARM processor and the Z2 has a 300Mhz ARM. Although I don't think that is the type of power you are referring to. The nokia is far superior when it comes to screen size, input ports, and built in doohickies.

What about uses for this thing?
ogg playing alarm clock, widget displayer, what else?

#7 Oct 2, 2009 19:24:03

NYbill
Custodes

one page i found stated it has:  32MB of RAM, 8MB of Flash, 312MHz PXA270C5

not too bad.  as for the nokia reference, i just meant it doesn't look like your going hack a fully functioning interface on it.
ot kind of seems like you can launch apps form the terminal. 

as for uses, some videos on  youtube show people running an NES emulator, running java, and watching HULU.  i also read about people running terminals, hacking rockbox on it, and using it as a WIFI locator.  i'm sure there is more.  i've just been poking around a bit to see what i can see.

of course, there is always the use as a door stop if your brick it.   wink

EDIT: i said rockbox above.  i meant fluxbox.  i did just see someone saying they have a web browser working on one.

#8 Jan 26, 2010 23:19:59

FiftyOneFifty
Neophyte

In case anyone is still following, this was posted with a
ZipIt two

"One does not thump the book of G'Quon"

#9 Jan 27, 2010 00:51:18

Swathe
Neophyte

I have been tempted to try and get one of my hands on one of these little jiggers.

Gentoo~Emacs~Irssi
twitter.com/nerd___rage
Linux Outlaws Forum member #490

#10 Jan 27, 2010 04:43:39

jezra
Chaplain
Website

FiftyOneFifty wrote:

In case anyone is still following, this was posted with a
ZipIt two

Awesome! has the zipit been hacked on to allow web browsing or is that a standard feature?

#11 Jan 27, 2010 19:14:58

FiftyOneFifty
Neophyte

>>Awesome! has the zipit been hacked on to allow web browsing or is that a standard feature?

Stock Zipit is a kiosk with WiFi, IM and chat.  I'm running OpenZipit from Aliosa27's image (Fluxbox on Debian with Aptitude [earlier versions you had to compile everything on a faster machine]).  I'm using IceWM because it automatically resizes app windows to fit the screen.

The default browser is Dillo, some like Links2 (even lighter).  They say Konqueror is like watching grass grow, but it will play Flash.  You can't do Hulu, but you can watch video streamed from another PC (look for Hulu on HunterDavis.com).

As far as browsing, if I go to the LO home page, I see about 2/3 of the main logo, I have to scroll left/right to view the page.

I'll post links and more detail later.  Got to take a sick cow to the vet and finish customer's pc I ignored yesterday because I finally got ZipIt on my WiFi and was playing with it.

#12 Jan 27, 2010 23:14:24

NYbill
Custodes

i wasn't able to find one of these locally.  and the one on amazon came with some texting plan.  if i can find one i wouldn't mind hacking on it.

#13 Jan 28, 2010 00:24:26

FiftyOneFifty
Neophyte

I think $50 on Amazon (over $25, free ship) or Target is about as good as you are going to do.  The year of texting ($29 a year after) pretty much always comes with it.  Apparently Target clearanced a bunch at $25/$30 last fall (before the hack became popular I think).

#14 Jan 28, 2010 01:46:19

jezra
Chaplain
Website

FiftyOneFifty wrote:

As far as browsing, if I go to the LO home page, I see about 2/3 of the main logo, I have to scroll left/right to view the page.

That makes for a very small browser window. I'll keep my posts short so that they fit.  wink

#15 Jan 28, 2010 15:59:18

Soapy_Illusions
Aspirant

If you guys check out the Hak5 Episode 615 they do the entire hack. They start it on one episode and finish it on another. It seems to be very easy to do but if you want to visually see what it can do that is a great reference

#16 Jan 29, 2010 06:44:26

FiftyOneFifty
Neophyte

I'm aware the following is a tome.  I have yet to find a reference that takes you all the way through to connecting to an encrypted access point, this will fill in some of the gaps.  No Jezra, I didn't type the whole thing on the ZipIt  wink Once I have the glitches worked out, I'll put up my own ZipIt page on thebigredswitch.comuf.com (don't bother looking now, just a bunch of white space).

----
Thanks to Russ Wenner, I learned of the ZipIt by listening to The Techie Geek.  OK, this is what I've learned so far:

You will need a ZipIt 2 and a one or two Gig (bigger is optional) Mini SD card (or a Micro in an adapter sleeve) and a compatible card reader for your desktop PC.

The following tutorial link is the best I've seen to get you up and running, but it only goes so far.  I'll try to fill in the rest.

http://quantumlime.com/zipit   This page contains the links you will need to Aliosa27's package files.  Some names have changed slightly, but if you browse to his index site you can figure it out.

Basically, you are going to extract the AutoFlasher script to your SD, formatted FAT32 (ignore where it says you need FAT16).  Extract the linux kernel from another file and copy it to the SD as well.  Put the SD inthe ZipIt and turn it on.  The script will copy the proprietary WiFi drivers to the SD then Flash the ZipIt to prepare it to load Linux from the SD in the future.  Then the ZipIt will shut down.  Put the SD back in you desktop system and copy off the drivers.  You will rename one file and copy them back to the SD after you have overwritten it with either the 1 or 2 gig image file (note, I've seen posts that the 2Gb image woun't fit on a 2Gb card.  You can use a bigger card, just create another partition to use the remaining space and mount it as extra storage on the ZipIt).  You overwrite the SD with the DD (destroy disk) command.

dd if=/<folder>/<filename> of=/dev/<deviceid>  Corrected from quantumlime, filename already has a .dd extension.  On deviceid, I used /dev/sdb1 (sda being the hard disk, sdb1 being the first partition on the second hard drive, just sdb didn't work for me).

Hak5 also filmed a video tutorial, using a eeePC running XP (why?).  The part about the ZipIt starts about halfway through.
http://www.hak5.org/episodes/episode-615  They do tell you how to connect to an open access point.  To my knowlege, there is no software that runs on the ZipIt that will detect a WiFi hotspot (i.e. you have to know the SSID already or use a hotspot detector). 

You will also need to copy two more files from the Aliosa27 site, z2mouse-latest (I'm assuming this will always be the current version and keymap.  Put z2mouse-latest in /bin and rename keymap to keymap.map and put it in /etc on the SD card. Make the mose driver executable:
chmod 751 /bin/z2mouse-latest

This is where the quantumlime tutorial pretty much ends.  Props to jagsdh_, rkdavis, barranco and many others from the #zipit channel on Freenode, without their help I'd never got online.  Become a member of ZipIt Forge at linux.zipitwireless.com.  Trust me, you will need their help at some point. Their IRC logs go back years, which can help you avoid asking the same questions as everyone else.

Now Google these four files and put them on the SD somewhere, you will need them to connect to an encrypted access point.  Remember the ZipIt is not an x86 proc, so these are coming from the embedded repos.

adduser_3.111em1_all.deb
libnl1_1.1-5em1_armel.deb
libpcsclite1_1.5.5-1+b1em1_armel.deb
wpasupplicant_0.6.9-3em1_armel.deb

Put the SD back in the ZipIt.  When you turn it on, you should get a login (login as root, pwd "debian").    Install the deb packages with "dpkg -i <filename>".

Now to configure your encrypted WiFi.  The ZipIt doesn't run NetManager or Wickd, so we have to rock it old school with WPA_Supplicant.  You will need to create a file, /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

You will need to create a section like the example below for each encrypted access point you might want to connect to (work, home, customer location, net cafe, etc).

network={
ssid=”MySSID”
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk=”My very secret passphrase goes here.”
}

The computer will try to attach to each access point in the order you enter them until it makes a connection.  This setup works for WPA2 (not WPA1) PSK-TKIP.  For EAP or WEP, you can Google MAN wpa_supplicant.conf .  DO NOT include in the "ctrl_interface" environment variables shown in the MAN page, just the network= statements.  Yes, it would be easier to edit the file while the SD was still in the desktop, but I had an issue with weird control characters that weren't their when I created the file on the desktop but appeared when I opened it on the ZipIt.  No one else seems to have encountered this.

Once the .conf file is created, you can connect to one of the enumerated AP's with

wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

-B gets your prompt back, wext is the wireless driver, eth1 is the interface (no, I don't know why it's not wlan0 either).

If you see the word "success" anywhere in the output, you made a connection.  Now, lease a DHCP address with:

dhclient eth1

That's it, you're connected.  You can put both commands in a bash script.  I made /usr/bin/wifi and it looks like this:

clear
wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
dhclient eth1
ping -c10 yahoo.com

>Pinging Yahoo is an easy way to see if the connection worked.  Remember to make your script executable:
chmod 751 myscript

With the current image, you navigate the GUI by holding down the smiley face key (next to power) and moving the mouse with the cursor keys.  The z2mouse-latest driver you downloaded is better, the "Options" key toggles mouse mode on/off, left click is the "Stop" key (left of cursors), key in center of cursors is right click.  In mouse mode, the top row become function keys, so you have to toggle the mouse off to type.

Other important key mappings

"Smiley" is Escape, Alt-Smiley is pipe (|), ZipIt logo key s TAB, "..." (next to Z) is CONTROL

Launch the mouse driver right before startx (do you smell another bash script?) with
/bin/z2mouse-latest &

It's a TSR, "&" gets your prompt back.

My final sticking point is the GUI keymap.  On the ZipIt, punctuation and numbers are ALT+ an alpha key.  It works fine in the console but not in X.  Loading keymap.map is supposed to solve this, but I can't get it to load.  I'm told I can put
xmodmap /etc/keymap.map in home/.xinitrc

If I run xmodmap /etc/keymap.map  from the command prompt, I get back
unknown display ' '

I've learned my first display should be :0.0 and 'echo $DISPLAY' should return the correct value.  I've also learned part of my problem is that I'm running everything as root.  I created a standard user, but it doesn't have permissions to run startx.

That's the state of things so far.

#17 Jan 29, 2010 07:10:37

FiftyOneFifty
Neophyte

I forgot to mention jagsdh_ has an alpha of his on take on Debian for the ZipIt at http://zipit.rootnexus.org/ .  It looks slick, I look forward to trying it on a spare SD card later this week. 

What can you do with the ZipIt?  As you may have surmised, web browsing is at best awkward (I did see a setting to default to the mobile version of a page, if available).  I've had to learn more about .conf files, CLI networking, maps and drivers and bash scripts in the past week than point and click Linux has taught me in a couple years, and that's been my favorite part.  I've always been amazed by the folks that say they spend most of their time in a terminal window and rarely venture into X and wondered why.  I think to get the most out of the ZipIt, I'm going to have to become familiar once again with text based mail and chat clients and media players.

The ZipIt can run Doom and several older console emulators.

#18 Jan 29, 2010 23:12:35

notriddle
Aspirant
Website

FiftyOneFifty wrote:

They say Konqueror is like watching grass grow, but it will play Flash.

Firefox?

#19 Jan 29, 2010 23:48:34

FiftyOneFifty
Neophyte

notriddle asked > "Firefox?"
I've not tried, but they say no.  Not Chrome/Chromium either.  There is buzz on the IRC about HTML 5, but I doubt it will come to the minimal browsers like Links2 anytime soon. 

From FreeNode #zipit 2 days ago
<jagsph>      If you want to try playing youtube videos when you get it working... wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... -2_all.deb and dpkg -i it...... then run this in a terminal mplayer -zoom -ao oss -framedrop -vfm ffmpeg `youtube-dl -m -g http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W47NAhGME4`

#20 Jan 30, 2010 01:34:33

notriddle
Aspirant
Website

FiftyOneFifty wrote:

notriddle asked > "Firefox?"
I've not tried, but they say no.  Not Chrome/Chromium either.  There is buzz on the IRC about HTML 5, but I doubt it will come to the minimal browsers like Links2 anytime soon.

So Chrome/ium won't run, but Konqueror will?! I thought Chrome/ium was the fast one (and I've tried Konqu and Chrome/ium too, it really is).

#21 Jan 30, 2010 04:30:31

FiftyOneFifty
Neophyte

>>So Chrome/ium won't run, but Konqueror will?

I don't think it's a question of speed but of bloat. Remember we are only talking 32Mb RAM here.  And we are talking Debian here, so I don't think Firefox is in the repos, they use Iceweasel, and only 3.0x at that.  For that matter, Chrome/Chromium isn't in the Debian repos.  Without AddOns, Konqueror many be smaller than FF. 

Some things you would think would work don't.  MPlayer works but they say VLC installs but won't run.  Perhaps carrying the codecs internally gives it a bigger memory footprint.

I'll have more time this weekend and I'll try some browsers.  Jagsph_ got Sid running on his earlier today.

#22 Jan 30, 2010 10:28:57

jezra
Chaplain
Website

FiftyOneFifty wrote:

I don't think it's a question of speed but of bloat.

There was a time when Firefox was called phoenix and it was the answer to the bloated web browser. Now Firefox is the bloated browser.

Damn kids, get off of my lawn! ( but leave the scotch)

#23 Jan 30, 2010 15:00:21

FiftyOneFifty
Neophyte

This just hit the #zipit channel.  Yesterday, I posted here a way to play a YouTube video from a terminal command.  Mozzwald can up with a way to integrate it into the Links2 browser, so you just have to click on a link.  And the best part is, no flash.

http://www.mozzwald.com/node/29

Is this what you had in mind notriddle, or do you need FireFox for something else?

#24 Jan 31, 2010 16:53:28

FiftyOneFifty
Neophyte

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Fir ... +resources

The above article on the Mozilla website suggests Firefox configurations to avoid overheating a netbook, including getting the latest Flash and using the FlashBlock addon to prevent execution of Flash content unless you really want to see it.  You can see what the challenges would be on a ZipIt with 1/3 the CPU power and 1/16 the memory.

jagsph_ just posted an RC of his ZipIt userland build.  It should be several orders of magnitude easier to set up than the conventional Debian port.  I should have time after lunch to try it on a spare SD and report back.

#25 Feb 1, 2010 18:32:45

FiftyOneFifty
Neophyte

As promised, report on jagsph's ZipIt userland build.  http://zipit.rootnexus.org/ Sorry, had to snake out the plumbing last night (not a euphemism, get you minds out of there). 

jagsph provides both a root and user passwords, but the ZipIt boots right up to a GUI desktop w/o a login (changing passwords still recommend).  On the desktop are links for Internet, WiFi setup, volume control (I don't think the volume buttons on the side work with Linux yet).  battery status, MP3 player, Apps, Run Command, Task Manager and Shutdown.  WiFi connect is a menu of scripts that make it easier to configure your connection.  You still have to edit a wpa_supplicant.conf, see my previous posts.  With my router, I still had to comment out the environment variables at the top.  There is a scan function so you can get the SSID on open links, and there is a script to connect to them.  Internet opens Links2 with a custom page for links to YouTube (I couldn't get it to work this morning, eBay, Yahoo, MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter (blech), search and URL fields.  The YouTube should pop up vids  in MPlayer with Mozzwald's script.  I was going to post this from the ZipIt, but it looks like the browser is set to request the mobile version of webpages and while the links worked in the forum page I couldn't tab to the login fields.  Apps not appearing on the desktop appear in the Apps folder (even a Mac user could figure it out).  Preloaded apps include several games, Alpine, LostIRC, several console emulators, SSH.  I knew mplayer was on here, so I ran it from a terminal and watched a video I preloaded on the SD.

Installation on the SD is fast.  The ZipIt has to already be flashed as normal, then you just need to create data and swap partitions on the SD, and untar the userland image onto the SD and done.

Board footer