You are not logged in.

Announcement

IMPORTANT. Please read: Migrating to Discourse

#1 Dec 14, 2011 06:22:23

jezra
Chaplain
Website

2012 Predictions

What does the new year hold in store for Linux?

1. The Tizen project actually produces something but then MicroSoft pays Samsung a shit ton of money to go with WinPhone7, and then Intel drops the project.

Have you tried putting some google butter on it?

#2 Dec 14, 2011 06:46:33

kristizz
Veteran

Re: 2012 Predictions

jezra wrote:

1. The Tizen project actually produces something but then MicroSoft pays Samsung a shit ton of money to go with WinPhone7, and then Intel drops the project.

I predict that 2012 will be the year of the linux desktop smile

This is my xorg.conf. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My xorg.conf is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my xorg.conf is useless. Without my xorg.conf, I am useless...

#3 Dec 14, 2011 08:10:57

jezra
Chaplain
Website

kristizz wrote:
jezra wrote:

I predict that 2012 will be the year of the linux desktop smile

in that case... 2012 will be the end of the desktop and dawn of the networked appliances. My fridge needs to send me a text message that it is empty.

#4 Dec 14, 2011 13:01:15

NYbill
Custodes

The year of Google Planet.

#5 Dec 14, 2011 19:10:11

rocket-dog
Deathwing Terminator

Mark Shuttleworth sells Canonical. 

The dockable multi-core smart 'phone, smart TVs, and the ultrabook  really starts to cut into the tablet market. Apart from iPad the form factor virtually dies.

Microsoft fork Wine and announce the end of the evolution of Windows. Microsoft buy Nokia.

Apple try to patent fresh air. Apple try to retrospectively sue King James saying his Bible shows the apple in a bad light. As a compromise to avoid court all future editions of the Bible substitute a banana for the apple.

TinyCore becomes the first distro' to have an negative size ISO image. Somebody sneezes and it's lost for six months.

Last edited by rocket-dog (Dec 14, 2011 19:11:17)

Ass hat. smile

#6 Dec 14, 2011 22:38:10

nailuj
Honour Guard

- Chrome might overtake Firefox in browser market share
- KDE 5 will probably release, they're running short on version numbers already wink
- Rant o' Fab & Kuhn might release Episode 2, but I'm still very uncertain about that
- FIREFOX 50 OMG OMG

#7 Dec 14, 2011 22:39:33

nailuj
Honour Guard

rocket-dog wrote:

TinyCore becomes the first distro' to have an negative size ISO image

LOL big_smile

#8 Dec 14, 2011 22:41:20

nailuj
Honour Guard

Oh, and before I forget it: I hope 2012 will lead to more openness and sanity in the mobile computing sector (looking at smartphones here).

#9 Dec 15, 2011 00:04:30

sixthwheel
Veteran Sergeant

Mark Shuttleworth sells Canonical.

To Nokia. big_smile big_smile

#10 Dec 15, 2011 00:07:57

sixthwheel
Veteran Sergeant

Apple try to patent fresh air. Apple try to retrospectively sue King James saying his Bible shows the apple in a bad light. As a compromise to avoid court all future editions of the Bible substitute a banana for the apple.

I nominate this to be one of the top 5 funniest quotes on the forum for  2011.

Rant o' Fab & Kuhn might release Episode 2

Also very funny.

Last edited by sixthwheel (Dec 15, 2011 00:10:14)

#11 Dec 15, 2011 01:44:21

pico
Aspirant

Steady migration from gnome to xfce, openbox, fluxbox, elightment, etc.

#12 Dec 15, 2011 02:03:42

sixthwheel
Veteran Sergeant

pico wrote:

Steady migration from gnome to xfce, openbox, fluxbox, elightment, etc.

Steady migration from Gnome2 to Gnome 3

#13 Dec 15, 2011 02:22:55

NYbill
Custodes

Prediction: Unity, Gnome3, and KDE (touch) try and hook up with manufactures to get on tablets.

#14 Dec 15, 2011 04:56:58

saulgoode
Neophyte

Red Hat developer Lennart Poettering will present an enhanced replacement for ELF (Executable and Linkable Format) called GREMLINS (Gratuitous Replacement Executable Mechanism for Linking Incorporating Needless Sophistication).

The proposed format will overcome the six million terabyte program size limitation the kernel currently suffers from and will permit core dumps to be automatically shared with your Google+ Circles.

Don't get suckered in by the comments -- they can be terribly  misleading.  Debug only code.

#15 Dec 15, 2011 07:03:35

jezra
Chaplain
Website

NYbill wrote:

Prediction: Unity, Gnome3, and KDE (touch) try and hook up with manufactures to get on tablets.

Since Unity is being (mainly) developed by a for profit company, I can definitely see Unity/Canonical taking that step.

#16 Dec 15, 2011 07:22:20

kristizz
Veteran

saulgoode wrote:

Red Hat developer Lennart Poettering will present an enhanced replacement for ELF (Executable and Linkable Format) called GREMLINS (Gratuitous Replacement Executable Mechanism for Linking Incorporating Needless Sophistication).

The proposed format will overcome the six million terabyte program size limitation the kernel currently suffers from and will permit core dumps to be automatically shared with your Google+ Circles.

Agreed, withe added prediction that it will only be configurable by hacking the source,will have hard coded gnome dependencies and will be adopted into all stable distros except slackware the second it gooes alpha.

This is my xorg.conf. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My xorg.conf is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my xorg.conf is useless. Without my xorg.conf, I am useless...

#17 Dec 15, 2011 07:32:46

kristizz
Veteran

Google are forced to apologise after the google mind share project releases an opt in for gmail users which involves swallowing gbot (a nano bot that attaches to your brain and gives you sponsored purchasing ideas). Apparently gbot was set by default to share all of your memories with other users, and now the government has a repository of our thoughts, including those about people whose lives you know intimately but did not opt in. Google recover by giving some money to some opensource projects and saying they don't do evil, the linux user community forget in 3 seconds and carry on.

I buy a new android phone and feel dirty, but pleasantly distracted in a vague, compliant sort of way.

Last edited by kristizz (Dec 15, 2011 07:42:05)

#18 Dec 15, 2011 08:30:56

sysyphus.jones
Veteran Sergeant
Website

saulgoode wrote:

Excellent! Nominate for Sixgun Forum Satire Award 2011

ƚɿoʇʇɘ ɘʜƚ ʜƚɿow ƚ'nƨɒw yllɒɘɿ ƨiʜƚ

#19 Dec 15, 2011 13:42:17

NYbill
Custodes

jezra wrote:
NYbill wrote:

Since Unity is being (mainly) developed by a for profit company, I can definitely see Unity/Canonical taking that step.

And I just found out about KDE Touch. Its tablet all the way!

#20 Dec 15, 2011 14:15:23

YOBA
Sergeant

nailuj wrote:

- Chrome might overtake Firefox in browser market share
- KDE 5 will probably release, they're running short on version numbers already wink
- Rant o' Fab & Kuhn might release Episode 2, but I'm still very uncertain about that
- FIREFOX 50 OMG OMG

-Chrome's already won.
-Qt 5 will be released "sometime in 2012", KDE is unlikely to be released alongside it when the first talks begans in India in November about the libraries.
-HAHAHA. First episode was pretty rad though
-Except no-one will care I guess wink a shame though as Firefox gets a bad rap for problems fixed a good two years ago

YOBA: Youth-Oriented, Bydło-Approved

Google is not YOBA it's a product by a large and scary corporation (it bubbles and tracks you)! Use the largely open-source DuckDuckGo for a better web search experience and to fight EVIL.

#21 Dec 15, 2011 17:31:03

nailuj
Honour Guard

YOBA wrote:

-Qt 5 will be released "sometime in 2012", KDE is unlikely to be released alongside it

Hmm, I wouldn't say so. Given that Qt is committed to following an open development model now, KDE might be able to adapt their own libraries pretty early on.

#22 Dec 15, 2011 18:20:55

rocket-dog
Deathwing Terminator

sixthwheel wrote:

I nominate this to be one of the top 5 funniest quotes on the forum for  2011.

Ahh! Bless your little Southern cotton socks.

Ass hat. smile

#23 Dec 15, 2011 18:50:28

YOBA
Sergeant

Okay, might as well:
-CentOS dies off because of its crappy development model
-Scientific Linux stops receiving funding from CERN which is by and large paid for by the EU, which in turn is in serious disarray if you've been under a rock for the past 3 years.
-Microsoft! buys! Yahoo! a! prediction! that! has! been! made! since! 2006! This causes a crapload of services on both sides to close down.
-"Whose open-source mobile phone operating system is this?"
"It's for all mobile devices, baby"
"Whose open-source mobile operating system is this?"
"It's Intel's and Nokia's."
"Who's Nokia?"
"Nokia's dead, baby, Nokia's dead."
-Android continues to dwarf the iPhone (and all other competitors) in device sales and it becomes the primary development platform for many software developers.
-However, from a features point of view, all mobile platforms have little else to offer except gimmicks... I cannot foresee much development except in improved UIs and more web integration.
-webOS won't survive
-Chakra Linux is gonna be awesome :3 it might just overtake Arch Linux in popularity
-Ubuntu fails; hard. Fedora will never become more popular than Ubuntu though and I think things will remain entrenched as they are in the DistroWatch leaderboard.
-SOPA won't pass (getting away from Linux now, but still tech), not even with the lobbyists. Also, the Republican Party is unlikely to win the US presidential election due to internal division (Paul and Romney have both run ads against Gingrich for instance, though it's true he is a scummy character). I see few laws changing in the field of tech, then.
-I think PC-BSD will be the break-out success of the next year though I don't see it gaining much ground versus Linux... it's relative compatibility with Linux should be touted more
-There will never be a new Mint KDE sad
-THE END OF THE WORLD 21-23 DECEMBER 2012

YOBA: Youth-Oriented, Bydło-Approved

Google is not YOBA it's a product by a large and scary corporation (it bubbles and tracks you)! Use the largely open-source DuckDuckGo for a better web search experience and to fight EVIL.

#24 Dec 15, 2011 19:10:38

sixthwheel
Veteran Sergeant

-

THE END OF THE WORLD 21-23 DECEMBER 2012

So you're saying that the end of the world will take 3 days?
I was hoping for a quicker demise.

#25 Dec 15, 2011 19:38:59

NYbill
Custodes

sixthwheel wrote:

-

THE END OF THE WORLD 21-23 DECEMBER 2012

So you're saying that the end of the world will take 3 days?
I was hoping for a quicker demise.

They will be using Windows for the end of the world. There will be reboots during the process.

Board footer