Announcement

IMPORTANT. Please read: Migrating to Discourse

#1351 Jan 21, 2012 18:43:12

rocket-dog
Deathwing Terminator

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Morepork wrote:

I never said my husband wasn't already on here... wink

Well I have checked and I can categorically say that you are not married to me. And I unanimous in that.  smile

Last edited by rocket-dog (Jan 21, 2012 18:44:23)

Ass hat. smile

#1352 Jan 21, 2012 18:59:03

nipeng
Sergeant

A lost decade.

#1353 Jan 21, 2012 19:42:23

Jenni
Battle Brother
Website

Welcome to the forum morepork.

Hm, I love how every new introduction seemingly brings a new string of off-topic discussions to this thread.

Still on Slackware.
youtube(LPs of Roguelikes): http://www.youtube.com/rogueswonderland | Twitter: @jennimason0990

#1354 Jan 21, 2012 20:04:50

NYbill
Custodes

Jenni wrote:

Hm, I love how every new introduction seemingly brings a new string of off-topic discussions to this thread.

Derailing is an age old LO tradition. big_smile

#1355 Jan 22, 2012 17:21:16

sixthwheel
Veteran Sergeant

Every decade is better then the one before it.
Why? Because we were all 10 years younger.

#1356 Jan 22, 2012 19:03:06

rocket-dog
Deathwing Terminator

nipeng wrote:

A lost decade.

Do you mean a Lost decade in that it dragged on without much point for far too long and then had a underwhelming and slightly confusing ending?

Ass hat. smile

#1357 Jan 24, 2012 05:20:37

sudaraka
Aspirant

Hello Everyone,

I'm Sudaraka Wijesinghe from Sri Lanka. I stumbled up on LO around the episode 195 and I downloaded and listened to all of them. (I know what ya all been up to).
You may have seen me lurking in the IRC and identi.ca sometimes. I signed up for the forum many moons ago and it slipped through my fingers, only got it activated today.

I'm a programmer, these days I work mostly on web stuff, but itching to get back in to the "real" stuff. I started using Linux (ok GNU/Linux) in 2003 but that was only on the servers I worked on. I switch to use Linux (yes, GNU/Linux) on my Desktop/Laptop in 2009, was using Ubuntu until "Unity" "separated" me from it. Now I'm a satisfied Archlinux user.

Well, enough about me. I hope to stay active here (if possible), and have a good time you all.

-Suda

#1358 Jan 24, 2012 12:48:52

rocket-dog
Deathwing Terminator

Hello!

BTW I have checked and I am not married to you either.

Ass hat. smile

#1359 Jan 24, 2012 16:31:45

NYbill
Custodes

Welcome to the forums of perpetual derailment, sudaraka. Hope you enjoy             ........oh look a puppy!

tongue

Welcome aboard, man.

#1360 Jan 24, 2012 16:35:03

NYbill
Custodes

rocket-dog wrote:

Hello!

Rocket-dog I keep thinking you're timttmy with that avatar! Oo

#1361 Jan 24, 2012 17:08:47

rocket-dog
Deathwing Terminator

NYbill wrote:
rocket-dog wrote:

Hello!

Rocket-dog I keep thinking you're timttmy with that avatar! Oo

The avatar size here precludes creativity.

You thinking I am timtty isn't so bad.  On a forum far, far away my avatar is a photograph of a certain actress famous a decade or 3 back. Though admired by many for my choice it does lead many new younger male members to think I am my avatar. It has given me a unique perspective as to why many there fail to get dates.  smile

EDIT: It also supports my humble opinion that the idea that the young are are all tech' and internet savy is bunkum. Then again that opinion doesn't need that much after 18months back in uni' convinced me that if today's kids do all their research online we are doomed because the vast majority of them don't know how to use a search engine.

Last edited by rocket-dog (Jan 24, 2012 17:12:58)

Ass hat. smile

#1362 Jan 29, 2012 18:40:47

windigo
Neophyte
Website

Welcome aboard Suda; I do believe I've seen you around Identi.ca a couple of times. Good to have you on the forum as well! smile

"1958: After missing the Rockaway Express as it left Times Square, Jazzbo the clown waited for the next train." - The New York Times, 'New York City Subway Photos'

#1363 Jan 29, 2012 19:57:27

stratocaster
Neophyte
Website

Welcome Suda.  Wow; Sri Lanka. Cool!  Is there a map somewhere of Sixgun listeners?  I will gladly add a dot.

#1364 Feb 20, 2012 08:09:29

trastle
Aspirant
Website

Hi All,

I'm Troy Astle and I'm a programmer from Perth, Australia (the Western part of the country). I'm currently living in Sydney and in the process of moving to London.

I've been a Linux User since about 2003. I started of with RedHat (before RHEL) then went to Fedora, from there to OpenSuse and from there to Ubuntu. I run Ubuntu (10.04 LTS) full time on my work laptop as well as my home server. I've been stuck on the LTS for a while as I have no desire to move from my happy, productive Gnome 2 world onto Unity or Gnome 3. I am also a user of the fruit based operating system but not the one associated with holes in walls.

I'm primarily a Java & C++ programmer but I'd love an excuse to learn Python if anyone has a small project that needs a hand.

Cheers,
Troy.

#1365 Feb 20, 2012 11:52:15

nailuj
Honour Guard

trastle wrote:

Hi All,

I'm Troy Astle and I'm a programmer from Perth, Australia (the Western part of the country). I'm currently living in Sydney and in the process of moving to London.

I've been a Linux User since about 2003. I started of with RedHat (before RHEL) then went to Fedora, from there to OpenSuse and from there to Ubuntu. I run Ubuntu (10.04 LTS) full time on my work laptop as well as my home server. I've been stuck on the LTS for a while as I have no desire to move from my happy, productive Gnome 2 world onto Unity or Gnome 3. I am also a user of the fruit based operating system but not the one associated with holes in walls.

I'm primarily a Java & C++ programmer but I'd love an excuse to learn Python if anyone has a small project that needs a hand.

Cheers,
Troy.

Welcome to the forums Troy, good to have another programmer on here smile

#1366 Feb 20, 2012 13:38:50

rocket-dog
Deathwing Terminator

Hello!

Ass hat. smile

#1367 Feb 20, 2012 13:41:47

sudaraka
Aspirant

trastle wrote:

Hi All,

Cheers,
Troy.

Hello Troy, Welcome to the forum.

#1368 Mar 3, 2012 05:08:06

RMetcalf
Aspirant

Hello Everyone,

I'm Ryan Metcalf. I recently started listening the Linux Outlaws after I discovered Podcasts(my 14 year old thinks I'm ancient!) I travel from Lincoln, NE to Kansas City, MO every week and the cast provides a needed break from the drive. I'm currently going to school for Information Systems Management and will graduate this May. Furthermore, for my senior project I will be developing a Droid app for something logistical (don't have the exact idea yet.) This project will be done completely open source. As far as I know, I'm the only Linux user on campus. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on my HP netbook(although I'm struggling with the Network Manager. More to follow with that issue). I also have an Asus Transformer tablet that I listen to the podcasts with.

The coolest part about my life is I was recently hired as an instructor for a company that installs a Linux based product on locomotives. Google "Locomotive PTC" and you'll know what I do.

Although I'm new to Linux (6 months), I look forward to learning more. I have already used a news topic I heard on Linux Outlaws in class.

Hope to hear from everyone.

Ryan M

#1369 Mar 3, 2012 09:03:48

sysyphus.jones
Veteran Sergeant
Website

RMetcalf wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I'm Ryan Metcalf. I recently started listening the Linux Outlaws after I discovered Podcasts(my 14 year old thinks I'm ancient!) I travel from Lincoln, NE to Kansas City, MO every week and the cast provides a needed break from the drive. I'm currently going to school for Information Systems Management and will graduate this May. Furthermore, for my senior project I will be developing a Droid app for something logistical (don't have the exact idea yet.) This project will be done completely open source. As far as I know, I'm the only Linux user on campus. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on my HP netbook(although I'm struggling with the Network Manager. More to follow with that issue). I also have an Asus Transformer tablet that I listen to the podcasts with.

The coolest part about my life is I was recently hired as an instructor for a company that installs a Linux based product on locomotives. Google "Locomotive PTC" and you'll know what I do.

Although I'm new to Linux (6 months), I look forward to learning more. I have already used a news topic I heard on Linux Outlaws in class.

Hope to hear from everyone.

Ryan M

Hi Ryan. Come in. Sit down. Hope you can stay a while smile

ƚɿoʇʇɘ ɘʜƚ ʜƚɿow ƚ'nƨɒw yllɒɘɿ ƨiʜƚ

#1370 Mar 9, 2012 19:16:43

2Bfrank
Aspirant

Hi ! My name is Frank. I am a German, living in France. By day I work as a  journalist. But more importantly, I am a Linux User and have been using Linux for… almost ten years now! In fact I discovered it with SuSE 8.1.

I am no programmer, but I have acquired a few Linux skills, converting friends and family, installing a virus-free, secure and very usable system and coming across some interesting (and some annoying) problems. I started getting into with Wordpress for a blog, and with Linux Audio. Because last not least, I am also a hobby guitarist and a huge Jazz and Blues fan.

Having profited and learned an enormous amount from countless episodes Linux Outlaws, I thought I join this forum, also to learn about how to participate in a Linux community. Good to be here!

Last edited by 2Bfrank (Mar 9, 2012 19:27:13)

#1371 Mar 9, 2012 19:37:12

rocket-dog
Deathwing Terminator

Hello!

Ass hat. smile

#1372 Mar 9, 2012 21:18:09

NYbill
Custodes

Cool, welcome aboard, 2Bfrank!

#1373 Mar 9, 2012 23:21:36