You are not logged in.

Announcement

IMPORTANT. Please read: Migrating to Discourse

#1 Dec 21, 2012 07:54:02

nailuj
Honour Guard

The day has come

Dear people of the Linux Outlaws forums,
we all know what day today is. We have all awaited it in fear and reverence. The world as we know it ends today.

Enlightenment 17, the final "for reals now" version will be release in a couple of hours. Rejoice, believers!
http://enlightenment.org/

2013 will be the year of the Linux desktop.

#2 Dec 21, 2012 12:14:17

NYbill
Custodes

Re: The day has come

Don't worry. Everything is fine he

#3 Dec 21, 2012 14:03:52

d-r
Deathwing Terminator

They can take their occasionally beautifully themed desktop and shove it! Storing configurations in a binary file is madness!

Distro: Xubuntu on laptops, Arch on the desktop, Debian/Ubuntu on servers
DE/WM: awesome
Editor: vim

#4 Dec 21, 2012 15:50:49

brian
Sergeant

the whole binary config shit (though i've not personaly experienced, but i've heard) has been enough for me to pretty much stay away.
i'm gonna spend much of this last day ever under my car... fucking shitty road clearing here leaves many obstacles and dangers, in addition to the zombies behind the wheels.

"The superior man knows what is right, the inferior man knows what will sell"

#5 Dec 21, 2012 17:13:02

d-r
Deathwing Terminator

Unfortunately, I have experienced it. A few years back, I tried E17. I really liked. So then I spent a couple hours tweaking everything . . . put all my keyboard shortcuts in and whatnot, adjusted the window manager behavior, etc. A couple of reboots later, E17 kept crashing on startup. When I asked how to recover my settings, I was told just to start over. Fuck that. With openbox & awesome, all I need to do is copy one config file, and I'm ready to go. With KDE, I need to grab a couple files, but it's still pretty simple.

#6 Dec 21, 2012 17:41:33

YOBA
Sergeant

d-r wrote:

Unfortunately, I have experienced it. A few years back, I tried E17. I really liked. So then I spent a couple hours tweaking everything . . . put all my keyboard shortcuts in and whatnot, adjusted the window manager behavior, etc. A couple of reboots later, E17 kept crashing on startup. When I asked how to recover my settings, I was told just to start over. Fuck that. With openbox & awesome, all I need to do is copy one config file, and I'm ready to go. With KDE, I need to grab a couple files, but it's still pretty simple.

Well, it was an alpha then. I tried it last time back in 2011 I believe with Bodhi Linux, and it's the first time in my experience that the entire X.org stack failed and had to be restarted. I don't think they have gotten it to a non-buggy state yet, so I won't try it again for a while. On the other hand, E17 presents all the options to the user quite nicely through its unified Settings menu - certainly better than any other WM. So I won't need to edit any text files (graphical utilities for configuring Openbox - including LXDE - are pathetic), though I generally don't back up configurations (just play it safe and don't use Arch Linux!).

Also, GTK+, Qt and especially Tk integration is awful. It's more of a WM than a DE, and this is the wrong approach.

YOBA: Youth-Oriented, Bydło-Approved

Google is not YOBA it's a product by a large and scary corporation (it bubbles and tracks you)! Use the largely open-source DuckDuckGo for a better web search experience and to fight EVIL.

#7 Dec 22, 2012 02:37:53

d-r
Deathwing Terminator

I should say that despite all my whining, I will try E17 again . . . I'll probably stick close to the default config though.

#8 Dec 22, 2012 19:54:58

nailuj
Honour Guard

Is it in the Arch repos yet? wink

#9 Dec 23, 2012 07:43:34

timttmy
Veteran

extra/enlightenment17 0.17.0-1
    Enlightenment window manager DR17 (aka e17)
big_smile

Haven't tried it for years so I might install it on something and give it another go. Probably after I get bored of razor-qt which I put on the eee last night.

Timttmy. It's an unpronounceable user name. Just call me Marshall.
Outlaw #187
Maintainer of the Jezracorp Arch Linux packages

#10 Dec 23, 2012 09:20:05

nailuj
Honour Guard

It's supposed to run well on older hardware, so that might actually be a good idea. I've never liked XFCE or LXDE much, so maybe there's a good DE for older machines now? I'd try it myself but I don't have any netbooks around at the moment. I'll just wait for a nice Live CD to release with it big_smile

#11 Dec 23, 2012 14:20:22

d-r
Deathwing Terminator

I gave it a try . . . kept segfaulting . . . oh well, maybe I'll try it again in a few years.

#12 Jan 14, 2013 06:25:58

Christian
Battle Brother
Website

Is Enlightenment much of a DE?  I thought it was just a window manager.  I tried it once, decades ago when it was just E16.  It left me feeling the same as when I first booted into Window Maker, utterly confused.

Real men use TeX

#13 Jan 14, 2013 13:35:05

YOBA
Sergeant

Christian wrote:

Is Enlightenment much of a DE?  I thought it was just a window manager.  I tried it once, decades ago when it was just E16.  It left me feeling the same as when I first booted into Window Maker, utterly confused.

They're trying to turn it into a DE, but failing hard as they have no tool like GLADE or Qt Creator to create UIs with. They currently have a buggy file manager and an awesome but seriously bare-bones to the point that some options return the output of 'feature not yet implemented'. They also have unified settings and some more specific applications like 'Everything' which is basically GNOME Do. I just don't think E17 is ready for prime time when most applications you use (Tk ones are the worst) are so poorly integrated.

YOBA: Youth-Oriented, Bydło-Approved

Google is not YOBA it's a product by a large and scary corporation (it bubbles and tracks you)! Use the largely open-source DuckDuckGo for a better web search experience and to fight EVIL.

#14 Jan 14, 2013 14:07:33

d-r
Deathwing Terminator

It's definitely a desktop environment, just a sort of crappy one. They have native apps, and libraries so programmers can use to make enlightenment specific apps, but not many people bother.

Last edited by d-r (Jan 14, 2013 19:36:59)

#15 Jan 14, 2013 17:25:56

Fab
God Emperor
Website

Enlightenment is a DE. It has its own file manager, panel and system settings. It also has almost as many reusable libraries as KDE. Look up EFL.

"It is a newspaper's duty to print the news and raise hell."
— Wilbur F. Storey, The Chicago Times

#16 Jan 14, 2013 19:47:37

jezra
Chaplain
Website

Who is up for the "test in in a vm" challenge? Bodhi Linux http://bodhilinux.com/ is an Ubuntu based distro using Enlightenment.

Have you tried putting some google butter on it?

#17 Jan 14, 2013 19:55:42

NYbill
Custodes

I know I tried Bodhi before from a Linux Format cover dvd. But, that was the last Enlightenment. Yea, maybe I'll give it a look again.

#18 Jan 14, 2013 20:00:27

d-r
Deathwing Terminator

jezra wrote:

Who is up for the "test in in a vm" challenge? Bodhi Linux http://bodhilinux.com/ is an Ubuntu based distro using Enlightenment.

Why not test on a real machine? I don't think installing additional DE's is big deal these days . . . the disk space used is hardly significant compared to drive sizes these days. I gave E17 a try after the latest version came out on Arch, and quickly gave up . . . it was really unstable, crashed quite a lot. Pretty much the same experience when I tried running it seriously a few years ago. I gave Bodhi a spin in a VM a year ago or so, and E17 worked fine there, but I didn't really care for the look and feel of the distro. Could have changed it of course, but my long standing suspicion of E17's binary config files makes me hesitate to spend much time configuring it.

#19 Jan 14, 2013 21:14:57

jezra
Chaplain
Website

d-r wrote:
jezra wrote:

Why not test on a real machine?

Because I don't want to soil any of my real machines. wink

Have you tried putting some google butter on it?

Board footer