January 17th, 2013
A new RHEL, new systemd, lots of security vulnerabilities, CNET reporter resigns over CBS meddling, Operation Red October, VMware stakes claim on Vert.x, Steam on Linux market share and more
- Red Book Prediction: Fab says Canonical will release a version of Ubuntu with a BSD-licensed kernel, Dan says they won’t
- Linux Outlaws Live
- Fab did a live Media Assassination of the Shuttleworth video after the last show
- The new Corvette looks stunning
0:11:30 RELEASES & NEWS
It’s Vulnerability Week!
- Critical security update for MoinMoin wiki
- Critical vulnerability in Ruby on Rails parameter parsing, exploits now in circulation
- Aaron Swartz commits suicide; heartbreaking account by a very close personal friend; #pdftribute
- Critical vulnerabilities in Asterisk
- CNET reporter resigns over CBS meddling
- The “Operation Red October” malware
- $17,000 Linux-powered rifle brings “auto-aim” to the real world
- VMware stakes IP claim on Vert.x; Red Hat and VMware “in active discussion”
- VMware joins the Open Source Software Institute
- Netflix Janitor Monkey
- Wayland’s Weston now able to run without 3D drivers
- Steam for Linux has 0.8% market share
Supporters: Thanks to Marcus Wilson, Mans Edstrom, Tony Hughes (from Blackpool LUG) and everyone who flattr’d us!
- Gary doesn’t like Cisco routers and prefers the Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H which runs DD-WRT he also recommends SeatGuru.
- Sam Bull has created a GNOME extension to put sticky notes on your Activities screen
- Rorie sends us some comments on tea and milk
- Tom Link, who has listened to the show for a couple of years, tells us what happened to him during a recent internet outage in Canada
- Jonathan Nadeau tells us that Northeast Linux Fest has been announced: 16 & 17 March at Harvard University
- Jeff G says the fifth annual OpenNMS User Conference Europe will take place 12-15 March at the University of Applied Sciences in Fulda, Germany
- Pedro wants to hear more about Secure Boot and tells us about his pet project which is a tiny application that binds keyboard shortcuts to window tilling actions on non tiling window managers
We had other emails from: Nehemiah Dacres, Christopher Vella and Garjola.